Monday, January 28, 2008

Christianity vs Liberalism

Can these things go hand in hand? This is something that has been on my mind alot lately. I have always considered myself a Christian and for my adult life I have considered myself a Liberal. I happen to believe that Homosexuality is something that you are born feeling not something you choose. I believe that they should have rights same as Heterosexual people. They should be able to get married, adopt children and live their lives the way they choose without the judgement of others cast upon them.

I believe that women should have the right to choose. I believe that having an abortion is not a decision that anyone should take lightly. If my daughter at a young age by rape or because she made a mistake were to get pregnant I would encourage her to have an abortion. If when I am older and my kids are grown and moved away and I got pregnant I would consider having an abortion. I don't know if I would be able to go through with it myself but I am glad that I have that option. I know without a doubt if I were to find out I was pregnant and then that I had cancer I would abort (in early stages of pregnancy) and I would do what I had to do to stay alive for the children I already have. Period.

Now when I express these views to other people who believe themselves to be Christians I get a very negative response. Not everyone has to agree with my point of view that is fine, but to act like because I believe this way that it isn't possible for me to have a relationship with God and be saved and enter into the gates of Heaven one day astound me. Because I believe this way can I never set foot into Heaven? Can I not call myself a Christian? Will Jesus turn his back on me and say that because I did not follow his every word that I can never be saved because the blood that he shed on the cross is not for my sin because my beliefs are just too bad?

I don't want a debate about the sanctity of life, I know the other side of the argument, I used to believe it myself and then I became a mother. I don't want to hear that Gays will burn in Hell and that they chose that life.

I believe that God created everyone equally. I believe He is good and loves all people. And if he has a plan for all of us before we are born than what makes you think that his plan for that unborn baby was to be aborted to teach its parents some kind of a lesson about changing their lifestyle? And that the gay man really wasn't made by God to be Gay to teach us all about acceptance? If God has a plan for us can we really alter it so much that at the age of 9 you realize that you are Gay? What child would want that? And at 9years old can you really derail God's plan that much?

I have increasingly been feeling very down about myself and that my entire belief system had been rocked. I have been attending church for a few months now and where one week it lifts me up another week it brings me so far down. After talking to my preacher about my thoughts yesterday I feel a bit better. He still didn't make me feel like I could have these ideals. So instead I prayed and I asked God to help me see and to help me open my heart fully to Him and know whether I can be accepted into his arms. And you know what? I think the answer has been what I have believed all along. I am already there. Can I be a Christian? Absolutely. I believe in a loving accepting God, I will be in Heaven with Him one day. I may not be the best Christian out there but that doesn't change the fact that indeed I am one.

Please if you have never left me a comment now would be the time to do so. I would LOVE to hear what other people thought about this topic. Oh, and look at the top right there is a poll, please take a second to answer it.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know you, but I read your blog daily (found it from Jenna's blog). I love your posts! You're one of my absolute favorite bloggers! I even went to Walmart to buy some of those accordion file folders for my daughter's classwork because you had such a great idea!

Anyway, all of my adult voting life I have struggled with the same issues. It's very refreshing to know that someone else in this "Bible Belt" (I was raised in Middle TN) feels the same way as I do. I get so frustrated when Christian republicans or Christians in general renounce my faith because I'm a liberal. My biggest issue is that so many Christians don't feel it necessary to protect our beautiful earth. It frustrates me to no end. Yes, we have a beautiful home in Heaven, but we also have a beautiful home here in which we should love and protect.

I am also pro-choice. I believe that decision should be made on an individual basis and if that person made the wrong choice then they can answer to God. Same with homosexuality. I think if Christians were more accepting of same-sex couples, there would be a lot more folks at church!!

I will not judge. I cannot say that an abortion or a gay marriage is any worse than my mother's THREE divorces or my premarital sex or even the fact that I conceived my baby out of wedlock (and eventually married the dad, my hubby of three years!).

Live and let live!

I love your blog!!! : )

Just Me said...

Jacy, your beliefs and mine on these issues are worlds apart, but in no way do I believe that any particular belief makes me a better person or a better Christian than anyone else. Do I fight in my own ways to protect the sanctity of what I believe is right? Absolutely. Do I refuse to love or accept people because they believe something different? Nope.

God is holy, and I don't believe that he "accepts" sinful conduct, nor indeed sinful nature. That's why He knew that we needed Jesus to pay for us, because we are all born with a proclivity for sinning. Whether it's murder or sleeping with someone else's spouse or stealing a pen from the office, or WHATEVER... If He is creator, then His definitions of holiness and sin are reality, and all any of us who believe can do is give thanks that He loves us so much and made a way for us to be with Him forever, and continually ask Him to show us what is true. He doesn't hold you responsible for the journey I am taking with Him, nor vice versa. As He created each of us uniquely, He has created a unique journey for each of us. I encourage you to continue seeking Him in your journey, and it sounds like you're off to a great start. Ultimately, He's the ONE you are responsible to, not anyone else.

(((((hugs)))))

Barbara said...

Jacy,

I've never thought of you as not a Christian because of your being liberal. I'm conservative but it seems that a good many of my friends are liberal. I do believe that ultimately God is the one we answer to and while we can say a behavior is right or wrong based on the Bible, I don't think we can judge each other - "You're a Christian or you're not a Christian".

I am so glad you've been going to Church and I have enjoyed having you there. I think it's an awesome place to learn about God. We may not always agree with every single thing that is preached but overall God's Spirit is there and it is an awesome place to worship Him and fellowship with others.

I know for me, it helps if I have a specific problem, to find as many scriptures on it as I can find, and read the chapters taht they are in and ask God to guide me.

I think you're on an awesome journey girl!

Love you!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jacy, I am new to this posting comments thing, I don't even comment on my wifes own blog (but I will start). Just wanted to let you know this was an awesome post.

Meredith said...

I think you can definitely be both!! Remember who Jesus' was and we he followed. He spent time with a prostitute and a leper. God loves all in my eyes! He doesn't know what you are, only who you are and your heart. I agree that a person is born as a homosexual or whatever... that is not something that anyone has any control over... it is who they are as a person, and God loves all... he truly does. My journey with God is one that I took in my own hands about 15 years ago, even though he has always been in my life. I too have struggled many times with feeling the highs and lows of my faith. Be strong and trust in yourself! God loves you no matter what... and that is the really all the matters!

Anonymous said...

Everyone else has said it well. I think that it says a lot of about your character (good things) :) for you to post about this issue. I do believe that you can be both as I have my own battles too.. trust me.. that is another issue

Hugs!!

Jacy said...

Thank you all for your comments and support so far. You are all such great friends. I love that this post has really brought about a good discussion with everyone.
Anonymous #1 I love you!! Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know that I am not alone! Thanks for the nice comments about my blog as well, I feel like it is generally pretty boring so to hear something positive really made me giddy :) You made my day!

Anonymous #2 Thanks for coming out of the woodwork and letting me know that you liked the post ;) I appreciate that you took the time to tell me. Hug your wife for me and let her know that we will figure this thing out and we will be ok :) Thank her for me for finally making me get this out in the open and seek answers we are both longing for.

Amber said...

As you well know, I have been in that same spot. The conclusion I ultimately reached is that religion and spirituality are completely individual. I personally believe that there are an infinite number of paths to the same ultimate destination.

Now, as to whether you can be a Christian and a liberal...for that, I chose "I don't know". I guess it depends on who you ask. So many people define Christianity in so many different ways.

Regardless, I hope you find peace.

Shannon said...

Good for you Jacy for not only putting your feelings out there, but for seeking the answers that you need. I am not a great person to comment on this as I am not a very spiritual person. It's something that I have many conflicts over and I need to do some of my own soul searching.

But to answer your question, yes I do believe you can be a Christian and liberal. I think there are so many ways to interpret the Bible, which is why there is so much religious conflict, holy wars, your religion isn't the right one, etc, it's a little off-putting sometimes. I think only each person can do what's best for them, live their life the best they can, and be true to their heart. If there really is a God, then I would like to think that he is a loving and forgiving God and not someone you have to fear.

Good luck on your journey, I hope you find the answers you seek. Oh and let me know if you find a great church that follows your beliefs and I will come and join you! Big hugs!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Jacy! It's me, Tiffany, Rachel's sister in law. She told me about some questions you have and thought maybe I could help. I read your blog and just wanted to comment about it. Feel free to write me back with your opinions/questions. I love talking about these kinds of things. You may not agree with everything. I'm not trying to change your mind. That's not my job. That's the Holy Spirit's job--to convict your spirit of any unclean thoughts and beliefs. My job is to direct you to what the bible says. The bible is absolutely the God-breathed truth. That may be hard to take in and we may not agree, but someone has to keep us in line. We didn't always agree with our parents but they knew what was good for us. We don't know a lot of reasons why God's rules are the way they are but he is sovereign and so big, our minds can't even fathom how huge he is. His ways are perfect. But when you go to the bible, there are answers to these questions you have. Unfortunately, many Christians get too caught up in the "legalism," and forget about the relationship they established with Christ and start becoming judgemental. But we can't confuse this with hating the sin, not the sinner. There are things in the bible that are considered wrong and sinful and we have to accept the fact that they are sin and we cannot make excuses as to why that person does that sin. But it is our job to pray for that person and to correct them when they are wrong. Not judge but gently correct them. We have to understand that God HATES sin. God is holy. That is why he sent Jesus to die for us. Jesus is our defender because we are all sinners. We all sin. We are all hypocrites. The difference is the word repentance. Repentence is not just asking for forgiveness, it is turning from that sin and trying not to continue in that sin. But we can't do this alone. We need the Holy Spirit for that. You said you believe that homosexuals are born gay. This is what you have to remember. God is not going to make someone gay and condemn them to hell. That is setting someone up for failue and that is not our God. Our God is love and he is for us, not against us. Also remember that Jesus came for the sick and the lost, not for the healthy. So, the people you are defending are the ones that need him the most. They are lost. And these are the ones that feel the most rejected, the homosexuals and the the women that make this decision to abort their baby and after it happens, they are so emotionally devastated because they know they just murdered their unborn child and there's no one there to pick them up out of their hopelessness. It is at this time that Christians be there to show them this God that is for them not against them. We can't justify their actions and we can't tell them that their lifestyle is okay, we need to tell them we love you and there is a better way. Homosexuals feel rejection on a daily basis. Why? Is is because they are being judged or is it because they know deep down inside their soul that something isn't right? I don't care who you are, we all at one point in our lives, question our sexuality. Every one of us human beings wonder what it would be like to be with the same sex. You can deny it all you want but it is a temptation Satan will use to veer you off track of your life. Satan's has one goal in mind and that is to steal, kill and destroy. What better way than to steal your sexuality. What better way, to torment your mind with dwelling on what others will think of you. What better way than to use pleasure. It says in the bible that sex is one of the greatest gifts he gave to man and women for their wedding night. Not for it to be turned into fornication. But guess what? Satan will deceive the strongest just the way he deceived Eve. I will write more later. Write me back and let me know what you think so far.