Friday, February 22, 2008

Let's resurrect a dead horse, shall we

So awhile ago I decided to bring some personal issues to light and get some opinions on the whole thing. I had a comment that came a few weeks after the fact that she wants me to comment on so rather than go back and comment in the comment section I figured I would just start a new post. You can click this link to read the original post

First of all let me talk about this point that was made.

"We are all hypocrites. The difference is the word repentance. Repentance is not just asking for forgiveness, it is turning from that sin and trying not to continue in that sin. But we can't do this alone. We need the Holy Spirit for that"

I agree we are all hypocrites! People who preach the word of God while having an affair astound me. However, if you read the Bible there are MANY things that are considered sin. Some Baptists believe that is a sin to dance. Some religions believe that it is a sin for a woman to wear pants. The Bible says that I have to obey my husband. Whatever! Love and respect, yes. Obey? I don't think so. All of these things I do, so I am living in sin because of them according to the Bible. I will not stop doing these things, so I cannot truly repent for them. Nor do I feel like I ever need to. So here is where it gets tricky, If all sin is equal in God's eyes and we all sin and will never truly repent for every sin we commit yet are required to repent all of our sin... How are any of us going to make it into Heaven? If ALL sin is the same in God's eyes, how can we assume that he just didn't mean those things and if we do those we will be ok??

Moving on to homosexuality
Here is the quote
"You said you believe that homosexuals are born gay. This is what you have to remember. God is not going to make someone gay and condemn them to hell. That is setting someone up for failure and that is not our God. Our God is love and he is for us, not against us. Also remember that Jesus came for the sick and the lost, not for the healthy. So, the people you are defending are the ones that need him the most. They are lost. And these are the ones that feel the most rejected.....Homosexuals feel rejection on a daily basis. Why? Is because they are being judged or is it because they know deep down inside their soul that something isn't right? I don't care who you are, we all at one point in our lives, question our sexuality. Every one of us as human beings wonder what it would be like to be with the same sex. You can deny it all you want but it is a temptation Satan will use to veer you off track of your life. "

I do believe that some people choose to be "gay" for a minute because they think it is the in thing. However I also don't believe these people are truly gay. That said I do think people are born gay. As for their feelings of rejection, well if you look at their lives they probably grew up with kids at school using words like "fag" and "queer" to talk to them with constant teasing and ridicule. Just like when kids in school are called "stupid", "ugly" or "fat" will always feel tormented and have feelings of rejection because of it. Also these people were brought up being taught that homosexuality is wrong, from their parents and society. How would they not feel rejected? They were probably brought to church as children and listening to the preacher tell them that gays were going to burn in hell, would that not scare the crap out of you as a child?? Most gay people didn't come to the realization that they were gay at an old age; they have known all their lives. They may push it aside because they are so afraid that what everyone says is true but since God knows are hearts he knows anyhow and it eventually comes out. Not to mention the fact that a lot of gay people are not having any of the feelings that you mentioned. They are happy, normal people living their lives being productive and are just good people. As far as the comment about we have all questioned our sexuality, well I am sorry to say NOPE! I have said that I should give up men and turn gay because boys suck, but never actually thought I would. I was born a heterosexual and there is no changing that just like there is no changing those who were born homosexual.

I won’t even get into gay marriage and how it is a travesty that the current administration wants to make it illegal as far as amending the Constitution!!! All I have to say is that if marriage is a religious thing, then why are Atheist's and non-Christians allowed to be married?? Maybe we should put that in the Constitution as well. Hmm, that will make you think huh?

I know this person was worried I was mad since I hadn't responded, but I am not. You are entitled to your opinion and I wouldn't have asked for opinions if I couldn't handle the opposing point of view. You didn't tackle abortion in your comment. I assume that was coming in part 2 of your reply. I don't plan to debate it with anyone. I am tired of doing it. My views are not going to change and those who feel the opposite of me are not going to change their minds. I have seriously talked about that issue so much that I am done....for now. ;)

And if all of that wasn't enough, here is a little food for thought. Aren’t having an abortion and the death penalty the same thing? Sure one is a baby with a clean soul and the other is a criminal. Is it our job to make that decision? Maybe God was keeping that person alive so he could repent and go to Heaven but you just decided you would make that choice for Him and now they don't have the chance. I guess you just played God, same as in an abortion. Hmm. How can you be prolife but also pro death penalty? Makes no sense to me!

*For the record I am pro-choice and pro death penalty
I am not writing to change people’s minds or start a riot! Just open your mind and get you thinking. Truth be told all of these things are simply things you BELIEVE! You may believe them with your whole heart but in the end someone will be wrong, you just hope it isn’t you ;)

6 comments:

Amber said...

Amen, sister!

Also, if all sin is equal, why the strong focus on homosexuality? Coveting is a sin, too, right? So why isn't there an outcry from the church about that? Or gluttony? Surely there are a lot more overweight people than there are gay people. So why has homosexuality been plucked from obscurity in the Bible and chosen to be in the forefront as a major issue?

Sorry I hijacked your blog there ;-) You just got me thinking!

tlmartin777 said...

Read in Genesis about Sodom and Gommorrah....I'll write more later.

Anonymous said...

Okay, let me first say this...Nowhere in the bible does it say women are only allowed to wear skirts. What this is called is legalism in the church and believe me I know about legalism in the church. Certain denominations will take a passage and twist it to say what they believe and make it a rule. That is wrong. What you are getting into here is focusing more on rules and regulations and getting off track of the main goal...a relationship with Jesus. The way you are describing Christianity is a false perception and it is unfortunate that you look at the bible in the way you do.( The part that says there are so many rules in the bible) A relationship with Jesus is so much more than just focusing on the rules of the bible. Everyone needs rules or it would be complete chaos on this earth but the bible is so much more than those rules you are talking about. The bible is supposed to be our manual on how to get through this journey we call life. Have you studied scripture lately? Have you researched the statements you made about sin to see what the bible says about them? Have you prayed to God and asked him for wisdom and revelation? You describe your life as living in sin...yes, we all live in sin. We are sinners, period. What God's point is about this whole salvation thing is that he wants us to choose him. Yet, while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. He didn't wait until we were perfect, he came while we were sinners. He wants a living, real relationship with you. He doesn't want you to say, "Okay, I believe in you." and it to be the end of it. It's just the beginning. If you mess up during the day, he wants you to go to him in prayer. Now, there is so much to understand about Christianity and I don't want to turn you off from it because of our differences in beliefs. All I know is that if you are truly serious about wanting a relationship with Jesus, you have to do more than just say I believe in you. That is only the beginning. He wants you to search him out through reading the bible. Read one chapter a day and ask him what he is trying to teach you through this passage and how you can apply this to your life. The bible will also show you the differences between sin and abomination. Read Romans. Here is the difference between sin and living a lifestyle of sin. Homosexuality is a sexual sin. It is a form of fornication and let me be clear to you, It is wrong. God destroyed cities because of this sin and I am telling you right now it has been proven that people are not born gay. You may not have questioned your sexuality in your adolescence years but millions upon millions of children have, gay and straight. What your mind has to do is understand that it is Satan putting these desires in your brain and the level of intensity varies upon each individual. Just like marijuana... Rachel probably has never had the desire to light up a doobie in her whole life... but millions upon millions of people have... and some are quite addicted. Some take a toke here and there and some make it their lifestyle. Does that mean we should just accept the fact that people smoke weed and make a law legalizing smoking marijuana because so many people are doing it...to me that says lack of accountability. I am not saying that gay people are going to hell. I am saying that they need a savior and that saviour is Jesus. He will be the one to show them the right path, not you or I. I am not their judge. God is. All I know is I read and study the bible. I know what the bible says and I am going to beleive what the bible says because it is God's word. Homosexuality has been plucked from obscurity in the Bible because it is a sin that not only teaches you to have sex with the same sex, it says you are like this for the rest of your life, which means that person is in continual sin and not trying to get passed that sin. They are doing it on a continual basis...practicing homosexuality...doing it over and over and over again. It's not like lying and asking for forgiveness and you try your best not to lie on a regular basis. You see, God knows your heart. And that's what my point is by this whole thing. It's not about the sin whatsoever. He knows your true intentions. All I know is this...we are to preach the gospel to the lost. I don't want anyone going to Hell.

Anonymous said...

Jacy enough with the bible banging it does not get me thinking it just makes me resent those who preach it. All Hypocrits. Where is the light at heart stuff you write about. This stuff sucks:{

Meredith said...

Jacy...Amen sister... I hear ya and agree! Bottom line... we sin!!! I do agree with one statement from 'tiffany'... "A relationship with Jesus is so much more than just focusing on the rules of the bible." However, I think my feelings on this statement are a lot different! I have NEVER focused on the rules of the bible... if I did just that, I would have failed long ago and there would be NO chance of heaven for me, lol! I personally think following rules has little to do with being a true Christian. I DO believe that one can be true with God and disobey God at the same time! I believe that if I focus only on the rules of bible then we simply miss a lot of the relationship with God. Yes, there are some defined rules to obey. Then there are a million rules up for interruption... so much of the bible is up for interruption. There is NO ONE way to interpret the bible... that is just not the way. Add me to the list of one who has NEVER questioned my sexuality.. like wise, I have said "I should just be a lesbian because men suck" but that is simply a statement. Oh, and I believe with 100000% certainty that one is born gay... I have witness very small children show signs of this! It is only as they grow that they question those feelings, due to pressure from society, family and such! How in the world can someone 'turn' gay?!?!? That makes zero sense to me, zero sense based on the bible too!! Jesus did not turn into the son of God and a leader to all... he was born that way. Really, what is the difference between that and one being born gay? Bottom line, we all have different views and believes, different interruptions of everything... that is what makes for diversity. I believe in that diversity and each person being their own person... therefore, I do not push my believes on others and I do not handle such being done to me.

Meredith said...

Jacy... OK, just one more thought from me on all of this, lol. I completely agree with you on this one... "All I have to say is that if marriage is a religious thing, then why are Atheist's and non-Christians allowed to be married??" Does this mean that if you do have any religious tone (scripture read, prayer, etc) in your weeding then you are not really getting married in God's eyes? NO WAY if you ask me! There are weddings all the time with NO religious tone and God is present and supportive. Then there are weddings where there is a lot of religious tone and God's presence might not be there. God sees through things on the outside... he knows us deeply and internally. I got married under an oak tree as my alter with little religious aspects involved (most of that was a personally communion with our pastor.. just the four of us - Mark, me, our pastor and God.. I did not want anyone else involved) and I 100% guarantee God attended that wedding and was supportive the whole way!

OK.... I am done, lol.