I am a 28 year old white woman. I have never been discriminated against because of my race. I was not alive during the civil rights movement. I still feel the enormity of this election. I have wept for joy and screamed out loud. I woke up this morning feeling like we were in a new world. A world where all people are equal. I woke up with a renewed feeling of hope and joy that our country and our world will change for the better. I don't fully know how to describe how I am feeling but I am truly joyful to have been a part of this historical election. Proud. Proud of our country for the long way its people have come. To watch everything unfold on television last night and see people like Jesse Jackson, who were a part of the civil rights movement with tears streaming down their face knowing all they have been through to finally see a dream realized. A dream that seemed so far out of reach but one they had the hope of for all these years. It was amazing for me, I can not begin to imagine the significance that the moment held for them. This is big.
I spoke with Mykenzie, who has been interested in the election this year, this morning, my eyes filled with tears. I was telling her to remember this day, remember this moment. Savor the fact that she was here during such a historical day. To think about Martin Luther King Jr. and about all she has learned about our world just 45 years ago to where this election put it today. Remember this moment. It is big.
Those people who voted for John McCain and may not be happy that Obama won please take a moment to step back from your views and just fully appreciate the magnitude of what has transpired. To loosely quote Elizabeth Hasselbeck (which I NEVER thought I would do)"No one lost today....today is a victory for this country. To have Barack Obama be our next President, the first black President... I haven't felt this good through out this campaign.... I will get in this long line of supporters. I wasn't the first but I will jump in that line and support our President, because that is what,as an American, I believe we should do."
This is BIG. A man had The Audacity of Hope and I believe our country and our world will be a better place because of him. We dared to hope that change was possible and hope won yesterday. Now the work begins....
1 comment:
Well said girl!!!!
Post a Comment